mattslandscape.com
Specializing in Hybrid Epiphyllums
epi cactus in german      
Auf Deutsch   

Home Ordering Growing About Forum Links

 

Epiphyllum Hybrids

   By Name - A to Z
   By Color
   Rooted Plants
   1 Gallon Plants
   Large Plants
   Matt's Hybrids
   Seed Pods
   Specials!

 

Aporophyllum Hybrids

   View Aporophyllum

 

Dragon Fruit

   Dragon Fruit Cuttings
   Rooted Plants

 

Holiday Cacti

   Rhipsalidopsis
   Schlumbergera
   Rooted Plants

 

Echinopsis Hybrids

   Chamaecereus
   Echinopsis
   Trichocereus

 

Species

   View Species

 

Other Plants

   Epidendrum
   View Other Plants

 

Planting Supplies

   Pots & Hangers
   Soil & Fertilizer
   Labels & Label Makers
   Markers & Pens
   Cactus & Succulent Tools
   Other Supplies

 

Books

   Cacti-Books

 

Merchandise

   Promotional Items

 

Site Maps

   Interactive Site Map





Cactus Mall

Review http://Mattslandscape.com on alexa.com

How To Root Epiphyllum Using Rooting Hormone


How To Root Epiphyllum Using Rooting Hormone



Share this page "How To Root Epiphyllums Using Rooting Hormone" page with a friend!



Below will show you step by step with pictures how to apply Rooting Hormone to Epiphyllum Cuttings. What is rooting hormone? Is it toxic? Is it safe to use? Is rooting hormone nessary for all Epiphyllum cuttings? And other questions you may have wanted to know about Rooting Hormone.



rooting epiphyllum in rooting hormone 1 mattslandscape.com
Above shows the things needed to Apply Rooting Hormone to Epiphyllum Cuttings-bowl of water, towel, rooting hormone and the cutting or cuttings.
rooting epiphyllum in rooting hormone 2 mattslandscape.com
Above shows an Epiphyllum cutting being prepared with a V cut for more surface area that roots can emerge from. The Rooting Hormone is poured out onto a towel that way any not used can be put back into its container using the towel. Also most Epiphyllum cuttings are very wide, wider that the packaging you might buy the rooting hormone in. There are liquid forms of rooting hormone also but were using the powdered type.
rooting epiphyllum in rooting hormone 3 mattslandscape.com
Above shows the Epiphyllum cutting being dipped into the bowl of water, about 1" of the cut end only.
rooting epiphyllum in rooting hormone 4 mattslandscape.com
Above shows the Epiphyllum cutting dipped into the Rooting Hormone then put on the towel after dipping the Epiphyllum cutting in the bowl of water. Notice the Rooting Hormone sticks to the cut end. You only need it applied on the end, but it can be up to 1/2" up the stem or more, give or take an inch it wont make any difference. Just be sure to roll both sides of the Epiphyllum cutting end in the rooting hormone to be sure all of the cut end is covered in the hormone.
rooting epiphyllum in rooting hormone 5 mattslandscape.com
Above shows what the Epiphyllum cutting should look like once the rooting hormone is applied to the Epiphyllum cutting cut end.
rooting epiphyllum in rooting hormone potting mix mattslandscape.comrooting epiphyllum in rooting hormone perlite mattslandscape.com
Above shows cuttings then placed in either soil mix or perlite.

What is Rooting Hormone?


Its an Acid simular as in car batteries but only around .05% to 1% is in most products. The name of the acid is Indole-3-Butyric Acid The rest 99% to 99.5% is inert its just talc powder.

Is it safe to use? Is it toxic?


Yes its safe to use, just dont swallow any in large amounts or you will get a stomach ache. For someone using it every day like a production nursery worker the dust particles could have long term effects, if used occasionally like to root Epiphyllum Cuttings its very safe. Just use common sence in its use and to store the Rooting Hormone. Always wash your hands after use or wear gloves. And Always keep all garden chemicals even fertilizers away from small children. Remember to always read all use labels.

Do i always need to use Rooting Hormone to root Epiphyllum cuttings?


No, in fact some Epiphyllum growers see little or no differeance with Rooting Hormone or without. Other Epiphyllum growers swear by it, they claim to get faster results using Rooting Hormone. But you can judge for yourself-give it a try!



Below is an easy to use search box to find all the varieties available on Mattslandscape.com


With so many Epiphyllum varieties and more types of plants added every day heres an easy to use search box for your convienance to find Epiphyllum varieties on the Mattslandscape.com website










© 2009, Mattslandscape.com All rights reserved.
CMS Login