New soil mix and repotting area

Greenhouse and shade cover forum-How to build, plans & drawings, videos & pictures of completed and under contruction projects. Method of construction ideas relavant or suitable to several climate zones. Where to buy materials, Sources for hard to find materials, instruments, airflow methods, fans, themostats, irrigation systems, insulation methods, solar heating, venting, recycled watering systems, fertilizer injections systems for greenhouses, drip irrigation, mist systems etc.

Moderators: Epi*Lover*Pat, EPIE-ELF, Jerrysdca, Cindy, Kathleen, Stephen

New soil mix and repotting area

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Heres a picture of one of many things going on here; This is a new cover for the soil mix/repotting area. Should show up on google satelite maps soon. Sorry but even standing on a 6ft ladder could not get a complete picture. The letters spell EPICACTI.COM and are over 6ft tall and 2 to 3' ft. wide, on a 30' X 20' canvas tarp. I will show a picture of the whole repotting area once completed. besides having an area to work out of the elements this tarp also protects the soil and amendements underneath it from rain.

The structure is made of galvanized pipe 10ft high 20x 30 and is pre-fab fittings. The feet are anchored with rebar hammered into the ground and sand bags suspended to protect turn over in high winds. Most of our shade covers for plants are made of welded galvanized pipe not pre-fab parts like this one but this can be moved more easily if need be. You could cover with shade cloth and it can double as a shade structure too, i'am just using to cover the soil mix pile.

Once completed i'll post a picture with the tarp installed on the structure.

Matt
Attachments
Epis mar 28th 2012 001.JPG
Epicacti.com banner
Matt
Epi Cacti Forum Admin/moderator

Re: New soil mix and repotting area

Postby Whiter Shade Of Pale » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:27 am

That's really cool Matt.
Whiter Shade Of Pale

Postby Epi*Lover*Pat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 am

Very cool!

Look forward to seeing more photos of what you've been doing.

Thanks for sharing!

Pat :waive:

Enjoy your day... and please stop by and visit my Ebay listings when you have a chance :)
http://shop.ebay.com/epi*lover*pat/m.ht ... =12&_rdc=1

Pat
Epi*Lover*Pat

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:49 am

I would like to see what you use to mix your soil with when its all done.
Stephen
Epi-Cacti Forum Moderator

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Steve,
I found a local bulk supplier that mixes it before delivery with a skip loaded. The recipe is in his computer per my requirements except for the bone meal and acid fert. since it can disapate if left in the pile too long so we mix it in as needed from the pile making about a yard or two at a time.

The last delivery the wood fiber chips were sort of small so had him change the recipe to a little larger size, but there is fine ground wood fiber in it too. He has all the different materials in separated bins at his yard but uses different names for them so still trying to get the perfect recipe dialed into his computer for what i need. He carrys around 40 varieties of soil amendments like pumice, perlite, fir bark in 4 sizes, ground wood fiber, coir, 2 types manure in different screened sizes, sand, decomposed gravel, rocks of different sizes and other soil amendments/additives too. To make the recipe you need a calculator since some materials are cost by ton and others skip loader scoups. But the recipe is made by # of scoops except one product he has in a large bag form. Then that recipe is calculated to make 20,30, 40 yards etc.

Matt
Matt

Postby Stephen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:42 am

Having it premixed an delivered is certainly a huge time and space saver for you. If your supplier needs something more efficient than a skid loader to mix soil with, have him look into rancofertiservice.com . They are an Iowa company that designs and builds bulk blending equipment.
Stephen
Epi-Cacti Forum Moderator

Postby mayday » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:48 pm

This must be a great job.
mayday

Return to Greenhouse and shade cover forum